the fate of firewire

Alexandre Oliva aoliva at redhat.com
Mon Sep 13 13:54:43 UTC 2004

On Sep 13, 2004, Arjan van de Ven <arjanv at redhat.com> wrote:

> there still appears to be problems with firewire, even in UP kernels.

-ENOINFO

What kernel version?  What problems?  Where are the kernel stack
traces?

Please don't even try use this as an excuse to simply remove Firewire
support.  I'm more than willing to try to fix problems that turn up to
have Firewire enabled.  It certainly works very reliably for me, and I
haven't been able to duplicate old problems that are already fixed,
but that some people claim to have resurfaced.  I'd like to get in
touch with whoever has such problems and try to help fix them.

Please send such bug reports my way.  And, while at that, enable
Firewire on SMP again, ideally in time for FC3test2, such that we get
more of a chance to actually get the bug reports on it and fix the
problems.

It's easy enough to disable the module, but I just don't see people
rebuilding the modules to help us address problems in drivers for a
piece of hardware they may not even know they have.