the fate of firewire

Rik van Riel riel at redhat.com
Mon Sep 13 22:27:09 UTC 2004

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> Am Montag, den 13.09.2004, 16:47 +0200 schrieb Arjan van de Ven:

> > I can't package that right so I rather don't.
>
> Just out of curiosity, could you give me one or to details on the
> problem(s)? Thanks.

Installing a new kernel won't automatically get a new
kernel-firewire package installed.  This breaks setups
where people forget to update the kernel and will
certainly break any automatic upgrades people may have
set up.

On the one hand, you can't have kernel depend on an
optional kernel-firewire package.  On the other hand,
people's systems might depend on it...

AFAIK Yum can't handle situations like this right.