the fate of firewire

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Tue Sep 14 05:07:43 UTC 2004

Am Montag, den 13.09.2004, 18:27 -0400 schrieb Rik van Riel:
> On Mon, 13 Sep 2004, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> > Am Montag, den 13.09.2004, 16:47 +0200 schrieb Arjan van de Ven:
>
> > > I can't package that right so I rather don't.
> >
> > Just out of curiosity, could you give me one or to details on the
> > problem(s)? Thanks.
>
> Installing a new kernel won't automatically get a new
> kernel-firewire package installed.

Sure.

>   This breaks setups
> where people forget to update the kernel and will
> certainly break any automatic upgrades people may have
> set up.

Yes, but putting it somewhere so people can it install *manually* after
a kernel-update is still a lot easier then rebuild the firewire module
every time yourself.

There are some kernel-module packages in fedora.us and in livna.org (and
more in the queue) -- they all have this problem AFAIK. But IMHO thats
not a reason to not package these modules ;-)

CU
thl