RFC: extra kernel module install locations

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Tue Sep 14 07:02:32 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-09-13 at 13:07, Axel Thimm wrote:

> OTOH /extras/ (3a above) is what the kernel developers have currently
> blessed, but the flat structure is irritating.

Agreed.  But if that has some sort of blessing, I think it would be good
to either follow the blessed structure, irritating or not, or not to
install into this dir at all.  I would personally go for the latter :)
(and just use updates/ for everything at least until extras/ becomes a
more prominent "standard").

By the way, you used both extra/ and extras/ in your message, I assume
only one of them is "correct"?

It seems that alternative 2 in my original mail (updates/ with mirroring
the dir structure from kernel/ where applicable) has received most +1's
so far.