the fate of firewire

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Tue Sep 14 07:35:35 UTC 2004

Thats the reason why we name the packages at fedora.us

kernel-module-ipw2100-$(uname -r)-%{version}%{release}

Then you can install more than one version of the driver (e.g. for older
kernels or for UP and SMP at the same time).

> and you need it installed before the kernel gets installed, so that it
> makes the initrd.

If you want to boot from firewire you need in in the initrd, yes.
Otherwise not AFAIK. But booting from firewire is not the standard-case
IMO.

CU
thl