"Stateless Linux" project

Steve Coleman 23e9t5t02 at sneakemail.com
Tue Sep 14 17:28:14 UTC 2004

John Hearns john.hearns-at-clustervision.com |fedora| wrote:

> On the Beowulf list recently, there was a post from someone from SAP
> (I think) asking about migrating vmware images. Interesting...

I think that the OS would need specialized support to do that. For what
its worth I use vmware, and I would not even attempt to migrate
something with it. Its not an application per se, nor an OS, and there
is lots of magic involved since not all x86 asm ops are virtualizable.
Look at the old plex86 if you want to learn about that kind of stuff,
the new one only runs Linux images under Linux as to run more
efficiently without lots of code scanning and op replacements to trap
them as a work around.

> Sadly they don't migrate. Only certain processes migrate

Yes, and thats actually why I don't use it here. Without thread support
it is useless to me because most my applications have at least 5
threads, and thats just the framework that sits under the applications
which may add *lots* more. If they ever get thread support working I
have lots of ideas to try out. :))

> And my remarks about the Linux kernel are based on something I rad
> once about Linus saying he would never have it in the kernel.

I'd like to know what his objection to it was. Philosophical, or
technical reasons I wonder. I Guess I'll google for that answer.

Steve Coleman