"Stateless Linux" project

Seth Nickell snickell at redhat.com
Tue Sep 14 20:55:03 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-09-14 at 16:29 -0400, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 14, 2004 at 10:44:07AM -0700, Josh England wrote:
> > prompt and running the 'mount -t nfs' by hand.  This pushes the security
> > concerns onto the NFS server.  I believe that NFS v4 has paid more
> > attention to security details.
>
> So I hack DHCP, or the kernel PXE boot.  Booting without keys on local storage
> is a known hard problem. I'm not aware of any solutions

The design plan for this involves using keys on first "install" as one
of the three or four things you have to set. The keys should also
specify the IP address of the directory server, so everything else
should be fetchable from there. I don't think we've moved this into the
technical bits yet though.

-Seth