"Stateless Linux" project

Josh England jjengla at sandia.gov
Tue Sep 14 21:03:52 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-09-14 at 13:29, Alan Cox wrote:
> So I hack DHCP, or the kernel PXE boot.  Booting without keys on local storage
> is a known hard problem. I'm not aware of any solutions

You have to imagine the client as being fully diskless.  Anything and
everything that a client needs to boot is supplied by the server.  There
can be no key on the client that wasn't first shipped to it (ie: in an
initrd) by the server.  All thats left is using a DRM-like key in CMOS
somewhere and passing that in with the initial PXE requests, but that's
ugly and requires BIOS vendors to buy-in.

-JE