"Stateless Linux" project

Steve Coleman 23e9t5t02 at sneakemail.com
Tue Sep 14 22:08:27 UTC 2004

Havoc Pennington hp-at-redhat.com |fedora| wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-09-14 at 13:40 -0400, Bryan K. Wright wrote:

>>When the connection is broken, the remote
>>half of the mirror would be unavailable, and the local disk would be used.
>>On reconnection, the halves of the mirror would resync.
>

> That's a clever idea. Dan Reed has some code written that's a bit
> simpler approach - it just rsyncs the homedir periodically.

The remote on-again-off-again network distributed file system is exactly
what CODA is designed for. And it handles laptops in disconnected mode,
caches files,  and merges changes back in on reconnect. Lots of good
stuff in there, and many lessons learned. You may find slight
differences in your requirements but it deserves a close look because it
addresses most of the problems I have read about in this thread so far.