"Stateless Linux" project

John Hearns john.hearns at clustervision.com
Wed Sep 15 06:25:30 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-09-15 at 02:15, Dan Williams wrote:
> So, I can't remeber if anybody mentioned this, but:
>
> How about using config info stored on a USB keydriver?  A relatively
> simple GUI app could dump the config information to one/multiple
> keydrives which could then be plugged into the machine when it boots up,
> and an initial installation program would get values from the keydrive.
> Could optionally encrypt the data on the drive since the OS image from the
> server would certainly have the keys to decrypt the info on the keydrive.

Great idea.
Imagine being able to bring your identity/keys/config info on a USB
stick to a conference, or a branch office of your company, or hotel
room.
There are laptops in the conference rooms for you to do a presentation,
or public machines for you to work on.
Insert the bootable USB stick, it boots a minimal kernel in RAM then
sets up a VPM to the Stateless Linux server back in your
department/office. Installs to the laptop and you are off.
Hopefully the shutdown sequence does a sync back to the server.

I blue-skyed the idea of bringing a complete distro on a large USB stick
at the UKUUG meeting this year. This is a much better concept.

No more lugging laptops about.