how about oneSIS? was: "Stateless Linux" project

Josh England jjengla at sandia.gov
Wed Sep 15 06:55:46 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-09-14 at 18:07, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> Anyway, I think it will take us some time to digest how this maps to the
> desktop/server case in addition to clusters, and how to fit it together
> with the work we have so far. Your thoughts on how to pull it all
> together are welcome.

Havoc,

Thanks for taking a look at oneSIS.  I'm certainly willing to discuss
how I can help it fit in with your ideas for Stateless Linux.

All of the abstractions in oneSIS are at the file level, so I believe it
can be used for many diskless-like environments besides clustering.  The
'compute/admin/etc' classes in the manual are completely arbitrary but
useful class names for a cluster system.  I have set up X on diskless
nodes before with only minor trickery, and it works just fine.  I think
a single INCLUDE file could be tailored to provide a working base system
capable of starting X, etc, on however many client nodes.

What kind of base functionality do you want out of the client nodes?
What daemons would run...what kind of roles do you expect...what bits of
the root FS should live on a local disk..what should the bootstrap look
like?

In clustering, it is generally assumed that the whole cluster is on a
protected network, so oneSIS doesn't address any security concerns
directly, but I would love to hear ideas for how to improve that.

-JE