Homedir backup (was Re: "Stateless Linux" project)

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Wed Sep 15 17:06:26 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-09-15 at 12:09 -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:
> So, you might want to look at it as "backup only when on these
> networks". I think it's pretty reasonable to assume that people
> have lots of bandwidth at home and at work these days.

Which presents the question, is there any attributes that NetworkManager
can expose about the network that would help this?  Time connected so
far attribute (though that wouldn't really tell you anything about what
the user might do 5 seconds from now when they pull the plug and walk
out of the coffee shop)?

NetworkManager doesn't have a concept of profiles, since that was a
specific exclusion from the beginning (profiles suck).  I'm not quite
sure how to go about a "backup only when on these networks", except
perhaps for these two ideas:

1) on wired networks, use your hostname as returned via DHCP, match that
against a "home network" sort of thing.  But remember, NetworkManager
keeps the hostname of the actual machine constant (because otherwise X
falls over and dies), so NM would save the hostname right before setting
it back and expose that via DBus

2) On wireless networks, we could key off of the ESSID of the base
station to figure out whether you were on a "home" network or not.

3) other, more complicated ways?

Dan