Homedir backup (was Re: "Stateless Linux" project)

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Wed Sep 15 17:13:44 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-09-15 at 12:54, seth vidal wrote:
> > So, you might want to look at it as "backup only when on these
> > networks". I think it's pretty reasonable to assume that people
> > have lots of bandwidth at home and at work these days.
> >

> I think this is a pretty safe assumption In the United States and some
> portions of the western world, but not a good assumption in a lot of
> other places.

The question in my mind is:

 If you never have a high bandwidth connection to the backup server,
 does the automatic homedir backup concept make sense?

Maybe it does, but it's certainly more of a challenge to make it work
well in such circumstances, so I'd think of that as something to
be looked at later, rather than a primary use case.

Regards,
						Owen