Homedir backup (was Re: "Stateless Linux" project)

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Wed Sep 15 17:20:54 UTC 2004

> The question in my mind is:
>
>  If you never have a high bandwidth connection to the backup server,
>  does the automatic homedir backup concept make sense?
>
> Maybe it does, but it's certainly more of a challenge to make it work
> well in such circumstances, so I'd think of that as something to
> be looked at later, rather than a primary use case.

The question in my mind is: is an automatic homedir backup concept
attainable?

 I think the word we're going to keep running into trouble on is
'automatic'. We've got to get the user to leave it the hell alone for
long enough to get the data and you're going to need to tell the user
how long that will be in some sort of progress bar or notification.

I think a good place to start would be a user-enabled homedir backup
utility. Something graphical, simple but reasonably configurable
(exclusion lists, inclusion lists, etc). Then move on from there on how
to invoke it automatically.

But we're not really anywhere close to the latter afaict.

-sv