Homedir backup (was Re: "Stateless Linux" project)

David Hollis dhollis at davehollis.com
Wed Sep 15 17:35:02 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-09-15 at 13:12 -0400, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-09-15 at 13:08 -0400, Alan Cox wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 15, 2004 at 01:06:26PM -0400, Dan Williams wrote:
> > > 1) on wired networks, use your hostname as returned via DHCP, match that
> > > against a "home network" sort of thing.  But remember, NetworkManager
> >
> > MAC address of router is another good hint
>
> If that's the case, then NetworkManager doesn't need to do anything :)
>
> Dan

Though router mac is certainly subject to change.  I could by on my
company network but on a different segment and have a different gateway
mac.  Or when the network guys finally decide to ditch that old
Wellfleet router and put in something from this century....

And what about VPN connectivity?  If I have a VPN open, I'm cool with it
synching files across that - though there still is the bandwidth
congestion issue of course.  I often go months at a time before I'm back
in the office and that's a long time to not have things backed up.  I
think the test/validation/whatever-you-want-to-call-it may need to be
more of a "can I access X location" type of test.  It could be as simple
as a ping or something slightly more substantial as a TCP connection.
You can also get some crude metrics of latency that may be useful to
tune how much/how fast the sync will go.

--
David Hollis <dhollis at davehollis.com>