Homedir backup (was Re: "Stateless Linux" project)

David Hollis dhollis at davehollis.com
Wed Sep 15 17:38:12 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-09-15 at 13:20 -0400, seth vidal wrote:

>  I think the word we're going to keep running into trouble on is
> 'automatic'. We've got to get the user to leave it the hell alone for
> long enough to get the data and you're going to need to tell the user
> how long that will be in some sort of progress bar or notification.
>
> I think a good place to start would be a user-enabled homedir backup
> utility. Something graphical, simple but reasonably configurable
> (exclusion lists, inclusion lists, etc). Then move on from there on how
> to invoke it automatically.
>
> But we're not really anywhere close to the latter afaict.

I definitely agree here.  It can't be an all-or-nothing proposition.
And there has to be provisions to exclude certain directories (if I
exclude my ~/rpm heirarchy, I cut out quite a few gigs right there).
And the ability to 'pause' the sync for those cases where the user knows
they aren't going to be up long and/or really need the pipe so they can
get that critical file for their boss.

--
David Hollis <dhollis at davehollis.com>