Homedir backup (was Re: "Stateless Linux" project)

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 17:52:16 UTC 2004

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 13:22:23 -0400, seth vidal <skvidal at phy.duke.edu> wrote:
> I could definitely see a good place to start is to make the backup
> software nagware. It tracks the lack backup date and throbs like the
> rhn-applet until the user runs its until completion.

Gee... wouldn't inclusion of rdiff-backup and associated python
gui-goodness built on top of it make some sense as a way to flush out
some of these /home directory backup issues without layering on the
extra complexity of "automatic" "network-aware"? If whatever the
stateless solution to backing up and restoring a  /home directory
actually is... if it can't also be used as a backup and restore for
user or admin initiated backups that solution seems too fragile and
special purposed to me. Lets cut back on the complexity of
autonegotation and just look at the logistics of actually moving
syncing the bits over a network and see if this is even plausible,
unless your going to demand laptop users not do silly things like dump
whole movies onto their disks to watch when they travel. If we can't
do user initiated backups with ease..where the user is aware that
backup is going on..and is aware of the amount of data and time
invovled to complete...we aren't going to come close to being able to
doing this when the user is not aware of whats going on.

I for one pledge to beat the crap out of any drop-dead easy
system-config* styled interface for doing simple "user or admin
initiated" home directory backups to disk or to a remote server that
shows up in Core.  A little applet or notification nagware to inform
me of a running backup if initiated by 'me the user' or 'me the admin'
and to tell me when the last backup wouldn't be an unwelcomed
addition.

-jef"preaching to the choir, hoping other people are watching and get
the point"spaleta