Homedir backup (was Re: "Stateless Linux" project)

Michael Favia michael at insitesinc.com
Wed Sep 15 18:04:23 UTC 2004

Carwyn Edwards wrote:

> Michael Favia wrote:
>
>> Short of spoofing
>
> Really? Even though there is hardware out there that lets the user
> manually assign the MAC and that there are routers out there that
> "spoof" MACs for use with broadband ISP access controls?

Yes that is why i said short of spoofing. In fact, most comercial
routers (Netgear, Cisco, Linksys) and OS's (Windows, linux, mac surely
but uncertian?) allow you to spoof your MAC addres these days. The
ability to do so is crucial to the redundancy of the internet. However,
Consider this: If the MAC address is spoofed *and* it happens to be
spoofed with the same 6 byte address as another MAC address you have
recorded in your preferences/syncing file there is most likely some sort
of relationship present. This is the reason for spoofing (Backup router,
etc). I'm not saying this is entirely certian by any means safe but that
with my limited understanding i am willing to accept the risks and i
believe a resonable person might agree. That after all is the real question.

--
Michael Favia           michael at insitesinc dot com
Insites Incorporated    http://michael.insitesinc.com