Homedir backup (was Re: "Stateless Linux" project)

Carwyn Edwards carwyn at carwyn.com
Wed Sep 15 18:15:12 UTC 2004

<summary>Stuff about identifying which network we are on to see if we
want to do backup.</summary>

If I'm away at a conference with my laptop and they have WiFi access to
the internet, I don't care which network I am on. I still want to back
up my home directory though.

If I'm working in a multi site corporation that has multiple backup
servers (one per site perhaps). I want to use the local backup server
not the one back home that's through a thin pipe. I'd want my laptop to
discover the local backup server and authenticate it to me and me to it.

Ok these ideas don't quite work with the diskless Stateless model but
they are still valid when talking about homedir backup.

Carwyn