Homedir backup (was Re: "Stateless Linux" project)

Eli Carter eli.carter at inet.com
Wed Sep 15 18:57:23 UTC 2004

Dan Williams wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-09-15 at 12:09 -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:
>
>>So, you might want to look at it as "backup only when on these
>>networks". I think it's pretty reasonable to assume that people
>>have lots of bandwidth at home and at work these days.
>

> Which presents the question, is there any attributes that NetworkManager
> can expose about the network that would help this?  Time connected so
> far attribute (though that wouldn't really tell you anything about what
> the user might do 5 seconds from now when they pull the plug and walk
> out of the coffee shop)?
>
> NetworkManager doesn't have a concept of profiles, since that was a
> specific exclusion from the beginning (profiles suck).  I'm not quite
> sure how to go about a "backup only when on these networks", except
> perhaps for these two ideas:
>
> 1) on wired networks, use your hostname as returned via DHCP, match that
> against a "home network" sort of thing.  But remember, NetworkManager
> keeps the hostname of the actual machine constant (because otherwise X
> falls over and dies), so NM would save the hostname right before setting
> it back and expose that via DBus
>
> 2) On wireless networks, we could key off of the ESSID of the base
> station to figure out whether you were on a "home" network or not.
>
> 3) other, more complicated ways?

I think the way this should work is:

Can I make a _secure_ connection to _my_ server?
(Think ssh connection with the keys set up to know that the other side
is who you think it is.)
If so, start the backup process over that link.
Do scheduling of the network traffic so user-initiated traffic gets
higher priority than the backup.  Keep in mind that the backup may be
initiated by the user as well and would need to get scheduled as such.
The user needs a way to tell the system "Don't do that right now" in
case they are on an expensive link, or know something else the computer
doesn't know, can't know, or misunderstands.
There should also be a user-configurable daemon (or whatever) that can
tell the backup system whether it should do its thing right now or not,
based on arbitrary factors.  For instance: battery life, disk is spun
down, we're  plugged into power, it's been X hours, we have Y kB of
deltas that need to be backed up, certain important files have been
modified, etc., etc.

Otherwise, you're confusing "where I am" with "what I can do".
Sometimes they correlate, but they aren't really the same.

Eli
--------------------. "If it ain't broke now,
Eli Carter           \                  it will be soon." -- crypto-gram
eli.carter(a)inet.com `-------------------------------------------------

Confidentiality Notice:   This e-mail transmission may contain
confidential and/or privileged information that is intended only for the
individual or entity named in the e-mail address. If you are not the
intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure,
copying, distribution or reliance upon the contents of this e-mail
message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail
transmission in error, please reply to the sender, so that proper
delivery can be arranged, and please delete the message from your
computer.  Thank you.
Inet Technologies, Inc.