"Stateless Linux" project

Eli Carter eli.carter at inet.com
Wed Sep 15 19:14:08 UTC 2004

Havoc Pennington wrote:
> Dan's stuff right now keeps incremental backups (it uses rsync with the
> option to hardlink a new tree based on an old tree) and so the questions
> are e.g. when do you throw out the old backups, etc.
>
> Maybe the right answer is to make the rsync-to-server thingy dead stupid
> (no incremental backup or anything like that, though maybe it should
> ensure each sync is atomic by having two copies) and rely on backing up
> the server for getting incrementals and so forth.

Use rdiff-backup (mentioned in other comments).
Set up some simple policy on how long to keep which backups.
Provide a simple 'restore lost file from backup' GUI (and commandline)
utilities.

The "simple" policy I would advocate would be to keep incremental
backups on this schedule:
One per day for the last week.
One per week for the last month[1]
One per month for the last N months, where N <= 14 [2], and have N
automatically fluctuate as disk space on the server is consumed and
freed.  (May warn the user when it is about to be decreased.)
[1] Define "month" to mean "4 weeks" for simplicity.
[2] For a year, N = 52/4 = 13, and add one so you can get last April's
tax return you inadvertantly deleted.

Regarding rdiff-backup: it keeps the incremental backups as "reverse"
deltas from the latest, which works well for aging off the old backups
and for disk usage.

Backing up data is one of those things that users don't tend to do.  And
when done, aren't done regularly, kept up to date, etc.  Making it
automatic, default behavior, and straightforward to restore from would
do wonders to improve the state of most users.  (Including me!)  And, as
a bonus, would be a great selling point for folks with a small or home
office.

Thoughts?

Eli
--------------------. "If it ain't broke now,
Eli Carter           \                  it will be soon." -- crypto-gram
eli.carter(a)inet.com `-------------------------------------------------

Confidentiality Notice:   This e-mail transmission may contain
confidential and/or privileged information that is intended only for the
individual or entity named in the e-mail address. If you are not the
intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure,
copying, distribution or reliance upon the contents of this e-mail
message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail
transmission in error, please reply to the sender, so that proper
delivery can be arranged, and please delete the message from your
computer.  Thank you.
Inet Technologies, Inc.