"Stateless Linux" project

Alexandre Oliva aoliva at redhat.com
Wed Sep 15 19:19:52 UTC 2004

On Sep 15, 2004, "Bryan K. Wright" <bryan at ayesha.phys.Virginia.EDU> wrote:

> Back to my original suggestion of a "RAID 1" mirror composed of
> a local disk and a network block device:

Better do LVM mirroring than RAID 1, otherwise you'll end up having to
resync the entire volume every time something changes.  I understand
LVM mirrors do it on an extent basis.

But what would be really appropriate for this application is
inter-mezzo: keeping the FS transaction log and using that to tell
what to send to the other replica sounds like the right way to do this
kind of synchronization.  Too bad inter-mezzo is dead :-(