Homedir backup (was Re: "Stateless Linux" project)

Michael Favia michael at insitesinc.com
Wed Sep 15 19:20:47 UTC 2004

David Hollis wrote:

>I think trying to determine location via Layer 2 means is going to be a
>big mistake.

Perhaps you are correct.

>Networks tend to be very amorphous these days and node
>location is very non-physical.

Very valid point. Floating between wireless access point on same network
and all included.

>The workstation should not care at all
>WHERE it is, it's more of a question of "can I get to where I need to?"
>If contact can be made to the "home directory backup server", it is able
>to sync.

Yes but the reason someone raised the MAC address issue was a bandwidth
concern. For instance you can reach my server from the internet via
cellphone infrared internet access (or dialup, public coffeshop) but i
wouldnt want to sync from there most of the time. Especially if my work
was more sensitive (financial, etc).

>MAC address should play no part in this.  Do you really want all of the
>client systems to stop backing up because you had to change an interface
>card in the router?  Do you want to have to keep the same MAC address on
>that route forever so that you don't have to change every client in the
>org that may connect on that subnet?

I dont really have a problem with eternally spoofing the router address
but you convinced me that it isnt necessary or a good reference point to
judge ability/willingness to sync. Perhaps what we really want is this:

1. Assume can reach sync server
2. If we are on a acknowledged MAC sync up without asking.
3. If we aren't test bandwidth and assess amount to transfer then
present user with a nice throbber (with size of transfer, avg speed and
time expected) that allows him/her to decide or perhaps set a rule to
decide (e.g. under 5 mins sync auto).

Regardless you have raised a good point that MAC addresses are NOT the
determining factor in our willingness/desire to sync. Instead bandwidth,
expected time on connection and perhaps the security of the connection
really determine it. In either case administrators could write rule that
prohibit outside syncing if desired (via MAC rules) and normal users
could benefit from increased portability. Sound better?

--
Michael Favia           michael at insitesinc dot com
Insites Incorporated    http://michael.insitesinc.com