Homedir backup (was Re: "Stateless Linux" project)

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 19:31:15 UTC 2004

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 15:13:10 -0400, David Hollis <dhollis at davehollis.com> wrote:
> It seems to me that rsync makes a great candidate for this purpose,
> though there are some limitations (unless I'm just not aware of certain
> command flags):
> 1 - being in a library would probably be much nicer for this task,
> rather than spawning a process and trying to parse it's output
> 2 - Being a seperate process, there isn't the same ability to
> start/stop/pause from a user interface.
> 3 - Does not provide easily machine parseable output for a gui to
> provide status information
>
> There is a librsync project at sourceforge (http://librsync.sf.net)
> though it is listed as not wire compatible with the v2 rsync protocol.
> It may be sufficient for this purpose however.

cough  rdiff-backup
cough  librsync based
cough python based... like all good system-config tools should be :->
http://rdiff-backup.stanford.edu/
or if you dont want the "mirror" aspects and want a little more privacy
http://www.nongnu.org/duplicity/

-jef"using unattended rdiff-backup cronjobs via ssh on his lan for
personal data, and man oh man is it fun to wipe his rawhide test box
and do a fresh install and be able to restore is whole home directory
from his rdiff-backup created backed on the other machine on the lan
by asking rdiff-backup to simply drop the /home as it was 2 days ago
right back into place, if rdiff-backup were in Core I could problably
kickstart that sort of process with obnoxious ease."spaleta