Homedir backup (was Re: "Stateless Linux" project)

Eli Carter eli.carter at inet.com
Wed Sep 15 19:55:51 UTC 2004

Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> cough  rdiff-backup
> cough  librsync based
> cough python based... like all good system-config tools should be :->
> http://rdiff-backup.stanford.edu/
> or if you dont want the "mirror" aspects and want a little more privacy
> http://www.nongnu.org/duplicity/
>
> -jef"using unattended rdiff-backup cronjobs via ssh on his lan for
> personal data, and man oh man is it fun to wipe his rawhide test box
> and do a fresh install and be able to restore is whole home directory
> from his rdiff-backup created backed on the other machine on the lan
> by asking rdiff-backup to simply drop the /home as it was 2 days ago
> right back into place, if rdiff-backup were in Core I could problably
> kickstart that sort of process with obnoxious ease."spaleta

<AOL> Preach it, brother!  :) </AOL>

Eli
--------------------. "If it ain't broke now,
Eli Carter           \                  it will be soon." -- crypto-gram
eli.carter(a)inet.com `-------------------------------------------------

Confidentiality Notice:   This e-mail transmission may contain
confidential and/or privileged information that is intended only for the
individual or entity named in the e-mail address. If you are not the
intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure,
copying, distribution or reliance upon the contents of this e-mail
message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail
transmission in error, please reply to the sender, so that proper
delivery can be arranged, and please delete the message from your
computer.  Thank you.
Inet Technologies, Inc.