Distribution tag change of recent packages

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Thu Sep 16 08:50:30 UTC 2004

Hi,

It seems that recently built packages have a distribution tag now different
than the "Red Hat Linux" one that has always been used in Red Hat Linux and
Fedora Core up to now. Why not, but I see two problems :
- It contains the Fedora Core version, which means that packages won't be
easily kept between versions (noarch packages that don't need updating for
instance) without causing confusion. Are all packages now expected to be
rebuilt from one FC version to another?
- There are multiple different new strings used! Bad and most confusing...

Red Hat FC-3
Red Hat (FC-3)
Red Hat (RHEL-3) (yes, FC Dev. yptools .src.rpm has this set!)

And glibc and rpmdb-fedora have none set.

I think at least reaching an agreement on a single string would be a good
start here, and maybe hearing reasons for the change since the last
semi-official opinions I really getting on that matter were that
distribution, vendor and packager tags weren't concerns, thus just stayed
as they were.

Matthias

Fedora Core release 2 (Tettnang) - Linux kernel 2.6.8-1.521
Load : 0.26 0.77 0.75