Direction of wireless networking in Fedora ( was RE: Wireless update to ifup and network-functions )

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Thu Sep 16 11:30:41 UTC 2004

On Thu, Sep 16, 2004 at 02:33:21AM +0100, Jonathan Andrews wrote:
> distributions because for reasons purely political (as far as I can
> tell???) the promisc mode was left on the cutting room floor !!! WHY
> !!!!

Promisc mode (on those adapters that support it) is actually rather
complicated in the wireless world. A lot of the old prism firmware doesn't
support it for example. OpenAP has to basically take over the h/w at a much
lower level to handle that and that involves a native 802.11 stack - which
oddly enough is the direction that stuff is going