Re: Direction of wireless networking in Fedora ( was RE: Wireless update to ifup and network-functions )

Dan Williams wrote:
On Thu, 2004-09-16 at 16:23 +0200, Farkas Levente wrote:

Major wireless cards and drivers:
Orinoco (Intersil, Wavelan, Airport, etc)
Cisco Aironet
Intel 2100/2200

may i add Atheros (MADwifi) to this list.

I was more or less only including in-kernel drivers, of which MADwifi
isn't one...  But point taken.  Since I work on Fedora, I can't really
invesigate MADwifi since its not fully Open Source (due to the binary
HAL and frequency restrictions), and while I understand _why_ its not
fully OSS, I am really only going to fix/support in-kernel drivers for

in this case it would be _very_ useful to be a "supported hardware" page somewhere in the fedora website. so those who buy something can check before buy. i agree with you if you complain against ndis-wrapper, since it's another story. but those drivers which are not part of the mainstream kernel and _can't_ be part because of FCC etc. but it's still can be shipped by fedora and can be supported by it's kernel (at leaset a separate kernel module), where the "support" means you can help to fix problems with it, if you aware of such problems. as linus use to state a bad driver is still better than nothing. without this the old problems still remains "windows support all kind of hardware, while linux just a few ones" and we can't step forward.