IPv6 and IPv4 resolver preferences

Steve G linux_4ever at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 16 22:21:49 UTC 2004

>What's going on here?

You told me everything except what you typed on the command line. :)

I'm guessing that you typed a name and not a number, so the application looked it
up and found multiple records. The application can also set a hint as to what
address family to return. The default is in /etc/resolv.conf.

If a query returns multiple records, the application must walk through the list
and use the right one. I found this out a couple years ago when I was working on
xinetd's IPv6 code.

While dns queries may work OK, the applications may be broken as Joe suggested. I
use IPv6 pretty regular and haven't noticed problems. I'll play with it some
more, too.

-Steve Grubb