rawhide report: 20040917 changes

Brian Millett bpm at ec-group.com
Fri Sep 17 14:18:46 UTC 2004

> MAKEDEV-3.13-1
> --------------
> * Tue Sep 14 2004 Nalin Dahyabhai <nalin at redhat.com> 3.13-1
>
> - excise all architecture-specific logic and configuration data -- udev
> knows
>   no arch-specific details, so they should be irrelevant now
> - remove build conflicts on older RPM, unnecessary now that dev is gone
> - remove dev's %post fstab munging
> - add a short-circuit test for the common non-match cases
>
> * Tue Sep 14 2004 Jeremy Katz <katzj at redhat.com> - 3.12.2-1
>
> - add the vcsa user and floppy group in the MAKEDEV package now
>
> * Mon Sep 13 2004 Nalin Dahyabhai <nalin at redhat.com> 3.12.1-1
>
> - nuke the "dev" subpackage
>

> udev-030-26
> -----------
> * Mon Sep 13 2004 Jeremy Katz <katzj at redhat.com> - 030-26
>
> - require a 2.6 kernel
> - prereq instead of requires MAKEDEV
> - obsolete and provide dev
> - add a trigger for the removal of /dev so that we set things up
>
> * Fri Sep 10 2004 Dan Walsh <dwalsh at redhat.com> - 030-25
>
> - Use matchmediacon

Ok, right now after updating to this latest, I can not boot.  I get to the
point of this:

Red Hat nash version 4.1.9 starting
Mounted /proc filesystem
Mounting sysfs
Creating block devices
Creating root device
Mounting root filesystem
kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds
EXT3-fs: mounted file system with ordered data mode.
Switching to new root

Then it just hangs and nothing happens.  It doesn't matter if I use older
kernels, same behavior.  I have no clue.  Is it because the dev package
was deleted?  I had set in /etc/udev/udev.conf
UDEV_INITRD="no"
to avoid the many error messages at boot time, should that be set to
"yes"?  Then remake the initrd?

I can boot the rescue disk and get to the files, so I know the disk
partitions are ok.

Thanks, just going through a paradigm shift myself right now.

--
Brian Millett
Enterprise Consulting Group  "Shifts in paradigms