Distribution tag change of recent packages

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 14:27:46 UTC 2004

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 16:08:20 +0200, Matthias Saou
<thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net>
wrote:
> Matthias Saou wrote :
> My vote goes for either "Red Hat (FC-3)" if is it clear that _all_ packages
> will get rebuilt at least once from a Fedora Core release to the next, or
> "Red Hat (FC)" if not. Maybe it would be even better to just have "Fedora
> Core 3" or "Fedora Core" instead, since I don't see why "Red Hat" should
> appear in the "Distribution" tag, unlike "Packager" or "Vendor" where it
> does make sense.

I would have thought... considering efforts being made in other places
to disassociated the
Red Hat brand name with Fedora, that Red Hat would NOT be in the
Distribution tag as a matter of political/legal policy from on high.

However its decided... packages IN core should be doing this
consistently...and in a reasonably future proof way. So someone with
the power to make the policy...make the policy...and lets use it going
forward. I can see arguments for using the release number in the tag
and arguments against it... and i doubt those pros/cons will change
over time. So whatever the string is, make it consistent.  This tag is
only useful if its consistently used.

-jef