RPM debuginfo problems

Eric Smith eric at brouhaha.com
Sat Sep 18 16:27:50 UTC 2004

About two weeks ago, I wrote:
> When I try to rebuild Fedora RPMs, I routinely complaints like:
>     error: Could not open %files file
> /home/esmith/rpmbuild/BUILD/kernel-utils-2.4/debugfiles.list: No such
> file or directory

Michael Schwendt replied:
> Never heard about this problem before nor seen it myself.
>
> $ cat ~/.rpmrc
> include: /usr/lib/rpm/redhat/rpmrc
>
> $ rpm -q redhat-rpm-config
> redhat-rpm-config-8.0.28-1.1.1
>
> What else does your ~/.rpmmacros contain?

That was the problem.  My system started with Red Hat 3.0.3, and has
been upgraded to every version through RH 9.0, then FC1 and FC2.  But
it did not have redhat-rpm-config installed, nor did I know of it.
I used to rebuild packages just fine without it.

Is the need for redhat-rpm-config and the include in .rpmrc documented
somewhere?

Thanks,
Eric