Probably a given - but udev-030-26 made my system unbootable (detailed)

Jim Cornette music-cornette at sbcglobal.net
Sun Sep 19 06:54:00 UTC 2004

David Hollis wrote:

>On Sat, 2004-09-18 at 12:50 +0200, Felipe Alfaro Solana wrote:
>

>>On Sep 18, 2004, at 04:44, Mark Mielke wrote:
>>

>>>The first error was "Warning: unable to find a console" or something
>>>to that
>>>effect. The boot process paused. I manually created:
>>>
>>>    crw-------  1 root root   5,   1 Sep 17 22:18 console
>>>
>>>Then, it complained about /dev/null not being writable. Sure enough,
>>>/dev/null was a regular file with bytes in it. *sigh* Created that as:
>>>
>>>    crw-rw-rw-  1 root root   1,   3 Feb 23  2004 null
>>>
>>>No luck. Booting still had major trouble. Finally I gave up:
>>>

>I actually noticed this after I upgraded my udev.  Fortunately, I didn't
>reboot!  I checked out my /dev directory and noticed that null was a
>regular file and there wasn't a heckuva lot in there.  I
>ran /sbin/udevstart and it recreated everything and life was good.  When
>I rebooted later things came up with no problems.

When I freshly installed a system using the RC1 candidate isos, I had
trouble until I took the advice of an RH employee and ran udestart as
root and had trouble until I rebooted the computer. Before running this
command manually, I could not burn CDs. This is not as bad as not
booting, but a pecularity.

Jim

--
Ha.  For once you're both wrong but not where you are thinking.

	- Larry McVoy to Linus Torvalds on linux-kernel