Re: backups

On Sun, 2004-09-19 at 18:50 -0700, Jamie Zawinski wrote:
> Colin Walters wrote:
> >
> > My impression was that several people have looked at modifying GNU tar
> > to support xattrs, and ended up running away screaming...
>
> That doesn't mean it's the wrong thing to do!  Deprecating tar doesn't
> sound like a winning idea to me.

Yeah, I agree.  On the other hand though some of the newer formats like
dar's have more advantages besides xattrs, like handling file deletions,
and being indexed.  So we might actually want both; tar for people still
clinging to their tape drives, and something like dar for people backing
up to disk.

>   Surely someone will make their sanity saving throw.

Heh.  Maybe, but I think we're talking about a level 50 Cruft here...