backups

Colin Walters walters at redhat.com
Mon Sep 20 15:26:59 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-09-21 at 00:09 +1000, Russell Coker wrote:

> LVM snapshots will allow dump to be used on live file systems.

Ok, LVM snapshots help a lot, although as I mentioned elsewhere I think
we probably still need an archiver.

> We do need a better backup solution, a friend investigated backups some time
> ago (without regard to SE Linux) and reached the conclusion that extending
> "dar" offered the best promise of all the Linux backup options.  So dar may
> be worth considering.

Ok.  I actually investigated dar a bit more closely last night and found
that it needs to be patched to support the "security" xattr namespace.
Also we will need a patch to make it use setfscreatecon like the star
SELinux patch does.