Regarding Extras package announcements

Michael Schwendt fedora at wir-sind-cool.org
Mon Sep 20 20:27:09 UTC 2004

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 20:15:35 -1000, Warren Togami wrote:

> fedora-extras-announce-list at redhat.com will soon open, and will be used
> by fedora.us Extras for the short-term.  When Extras relaunches at
> fedora.redhat.com, the list will be used for those announcements.

Available meanwhile...

Maybe we can use the chance and discuss the announcements' content and
format, for sake of readability.

fedora-package-announce at fedora.us has been a bit confusing with its
free-form subject lines, message bodies, and various forms of GPG
signatures.

There's

  $ /usr/bin/fedora-pkgannfmt
  Usage: fedora-pkgannfmt <rpm-file or name of an installed package>

in fedora-rpmdevtools, which prints a few RPM package headers and the
package changelog. Easy for preparing announcements. But it doesn't
know where to cut off the changelog and which target distributions the
package has been released for (fc1? FC1? rh9? RHL9?).

So, what and how do we announce? For reference, the _old_ list
archives are here: http://www.fedora.us/pipermail/fedora-package-announce/

Suggestions?
Do we care?

--
Fedora Core release 2 (Tettnang) - Linux 2.6.7-1.494.2.2
loadavg: 0.16 0.82 1.07