Regarding Extras package announcements

Toshio toshio at tiki-lounge.com
Wed Sep 22 17:07:33 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-09-22 at 12:31, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 11:55:06 -0400, Toshio wrote:
>
> > The build system would also need (Well... should) also figure out which
> > changelogs are new since the last package release like the RH Build
> > System Reports.  Shouldn't be too hard if the changelog header lines are
> > correctly formatted (QA should be catching that.)
>
> Should they? FWIW, I think the package changelog is the packager's
> area. And unless it breaks the build, e.g. with unescaped % characters,
> I don't care what the package developer puts there. Okay, I give the
> hint to add version-release or remind to add a changelog entry if one
> is missing. But that's all.

Sure.  And it's the version-release info I was referring to.  I might
also mention something if the older changelogs were changed between
revisions but that would depend on the particular change.

> RPM changelog diff:
>
> 1. rpm -qp --changelog OLDPACKAGE > old
> 2. rpm -qp --changelog NEWPACKAGE > new
> 3. diff -u -U 9999 old new | grep ^+ | sed 's,^+,,;/^++.*/d'

I was thinking of trusting the header to have proper version info and
cutting there.  Your way looks better to me since it doesn't need that
trust.  Although it does trust that the previous changelogs won't have
been modified for some reason.

-Toshio
--
  t  o  s  h  i  o  +  t  i  k  i  -  l  o  u  n  g  e  .  c  o  m