the fate of firewire

David Kewley kewley at cns.caltech.edu
Thu Sep 23 19:06:14 UTC 2004

seth vidal wrote on Monday 13 September 2004 18:09:
> > On the one hand, you can't have kernel depend on an
> > optional kernel-firewire package.  On the other hand,
> > people's systems might depend on it...
> >
> > AFAIK Yum can't handle situations like this right.
>
> you want to track the version of the kernel and update another package
> based on what the latest kernel version is.
>
> No, that's not something yum can do.

How about making kernel-firewire depend on the exact version of the kernel?
Then make sure the updated kernel-firewire package is release before or
simultaneously with the new kernel package.  In this case, if you do 'yum
update kernel', won't yum see that that kernel-firewire needs to be upgraded
also?  If yum can't do this, how hard would it be to add the logic?

I've not thought this through in any depth, so I won't be surprised, Set, if
there's a good reason you can't easily do this. :)

David