Unpackaged files in RPM

Per Bjornsson perbj at stanford.edu
Fri Sep 24 16:30:30 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-09-24 at 08:57, Jaroslaw Gorny wrote:

> BTW. how is it possible to buid an RPM package with unpackaged files?
> Always when I've got a wrong spec, rpmbuild finishes with sth. like
> "unpackaged files found..." and *.rpm is not created.

That's a feature, not a bug! ;)

http://www.rpm.org/hintskinks/unpackaged/

Leaving installed files unpackaged is often an indication that the
packager screwed up so recent versions of rpmbuild (>= 4.1 I think)
don't allow this by default. This is useful for finding packaging bugs.
However, if you can't get past this and really, really want the package
build to finish you can stick this in the spec file:

%define _unpackaged_files_terminate_build 0
%define _missing_doc_files_terminate_build 0

But really, if there are no packaging bugs this just shouldn't be the
case, so in the general case doing this is a really Bad Idea. (See Mike
Harris's explanation in the link above.)

/Per

--
Per Bjornsson <perbj at stanford.edu>
Ph.D. Candidate, Department of Applied Physics, Stanford University