sendmail, procmail, and SE Linux

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Fri Sep 24 19:37:36 UTC 2004

avc:  denied  { read } for  pid=10387 exe=/usr/bin/procmail
path=/var/spool/mqueue/dfi8OJTVmq010385 dev=dm-2 ino=452872
scontext=system_u:system_r:procmail_t
tcontext=system_u:object_r:mqueue_spool_t tclass=file

I have done a fairly default install of FC3T2 and upgraded it to the latest
rawhide and then installed the strict SE Linux policy.  In terms of email
configuration it's all default.

I get the above AVC message when I run the command "ls | mail root", but the
result seems to be OK (mail is delivered in /var/spool/mail and has the
correct contents).

Now I would like advice from someone who knows Sendmail well, is giving
procmail an open file handle to a file under /var/spool/mqueue the right
thing to do?  IE is this a bug in sendmail or is there some good reason for
allowing such access which only becomes apparent in usage scenarios different
to mine?