Which component is buggy when dns isn't working right?

Kyrre Ness Sjobak kyrre at solution-forge.net
Sat Sep 25 19:24:02 UTC 2004

I have always before been able to run dnsmasq on my smoothwall, and if i
then put a host in its /etc/hosts, all (Linux - it has never worked for
my fathers laptop, so he has to use ip adresses...) computers wich use
that as a dns-server will get it.

F.ex. i have a host called "kyrre". If i want cups to be able to print
to the printer shared on that machine, i have to have a dns lookup for
"kyrre" - either on the local /ets/hosts, or in DNS. So the smoothwalls
hosts file look like this:

127.0.0.1       localhost
192.168.0.1     smoothwall
192.168.0.200   kyrre

And it works great. On all my fc2 (and earlier) linux-computers, i am
able to f.ex type "ssh kyrre", and it looks up kyrre from dns, dnsmasq
on the smoothwall reads the hosts file on the smoothwall, and returns
"192.168.0.200". And i am able to start my evolution over encrypted X,
or print my document (much printing today :-) ) from the laptop.

But with fc3t2, which has a hosts and resolve file which are identical
to the fc2 laptops, this dont work. That means - "host kyrre" returns
the correct IP, but "ssh kyrre" or printing on kyrre dont work
(acctually, hitting "print test page" in the cups web-interfafe just
gives me a google seach for "kyrre").

I would call this a bug. But where should i post it? Which component
does handle DNS lookups?

Kyrre