Rant on LABELs

Marius Andreiana mandreiana at rdslink.ro
Sun Sep 26 08:14:03 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-09-25 at 16:06 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Just got caught again by this LABEL nonsense.
> I was mounting my laptop hard disk on my desktop -
> both running Fedora-
> and the whole thing was thrown into confusion
> because there were two partitions LABELed "/",
> on my desktop hard disk and on the laptop hard disk.
>
> I had to start again in single mode,
> and change all the entries in /etc/fstab and /etc/grub.conf .
That's a common problem when adding hdd's with other fedora installs.

How about generating a random integer at install time, and use it to
label partitions like
/_5643
/home_5643
/boot_5643
and reference these in fstab / grub.conf? Could this create problems?

--
Marius Andreiana
Galuna - Solutii Linux in Romania