Recent Fedora Core kernels (plus my SPEC file for 2.6.8-1.541 with Athlon support)

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Sun Sep 26 18:10:16 UTC 2004

Is there a document or page that details all of the changes in how
recent Fedora Core kernels are built?  I've noticed several changes, and
I want to verify I understand them all.  I apologize as I've seen some
traffic, but I can't seem to find a definite answer (I'm sure I just
passed over it).

Specifically:

1.  The "sourcecode" package, which is now ARCH="noarch"

Assumption:
  I assume the package name change was because the ARCH has changed.

Additional Q:
  Why is the "sourcecode" package not built by default when
"--target=noarch" is passed?  I.e.,
  %ifarch noarch
  %define builddoc 1
  %define buildsource 0
                     ^^^

2.  There is another variable in EXTRAVERSIONS, defaults to "root"

Assumption:
  I assume this is to differentiate between UML (User Mode Linux)
kernels (so the same build system can be used)?

Additional Q:
  Is this a stock kernel change?  Or Red Hat only?

3.  Athlon no longer a build option at all in the SPEC file

Assumption:
  Are there support issues with this?  Or was it another reasoning?**

Additional Q:
  Is there any reason why we can't "patch back in" just the few changes
into the SPEC so one can build Athlon kernels easily with
"--target=athlon"?

[ **BTW, I'm fully aware that the i686 kernel runs fairly optimized on
Athlon.  But turning off the generic support, and optimizing for K7
makes a significant difference for me in engineering applications. ]

Also, to add in Athlon support, you don't have to make it part of the
"all_x86" set.  In fact, I made Athlon a separate build conditional on
its own in my own spec file (for 2.6.8-1.541) here (along with a few
other changes):
http://www.vaporwarelabs.com/files/temp/kernel-2.6.8-1.541BS.spec

And for those that want to build Athlon optimized kernels, the .config
files are here:
http://www.vaporwarelabs.com/files/temp/kernel-2.6.8-athlon.config
http://www.vaporwarelabs.com/files/temp/kernel-2.6.8-athlon-smp.config

Bryan J. Smith                                  b.j.smith at ieee.org
"Communities don't have rights. Only individuals in the community
 have rights. ... That idea of community rights is firmly rooted
 in the 'Communist Manifesto.'" -- Michael Badnarik