Recent Fedora Core kernels (plus my SPEC file for 2.6.8-1.541 with Athlon support)

Charles R. Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Sun Sep 26 18:18:09 UTC 2004

On Sun, Sep 26, 2004 at 02:10:16PM -0400, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> 1.  The "sourcecode" package, which is now ARCH="noarch"
>   I assume the package name change was because the ARCH has changed.

Yes.

>   Why is the "sourcecode" package not built by default when
> "--target=noarch" is passed?  I.e.,

There is no need to duplicate the files derivable from the src.rpm in
another package.  Kernel modules can now be built with just the kernel
package.  There is no need to have the kernel-sourcecode package to
build kernel modules.

> 2.  There is another variable in EXTRAVERSIONS, defaults to "root"
>   I assume this is to differentiate between UML (User Mode Linux)
> kernels (so the same build system can be used)?
>   Is this a stock kernel change?  Or Red Hat only?

I don't know this one.

> 3.  Athlon no longer a build option at all in the SPEC file
>   Are there support issues with this?  Or was it another reasoning?**

The reason is the one you give below:

> [ **BTW, I'm fully aware that the i686 kernel runs fairly optimized on
> Athlon.

> But turning off the generic support, and optimizing for K7
> makes a significant difference for me in engineering applications. ]

How significant?  Is this something most users are going to notice in
their use of the system?