Recent Fedora Core kernels (plus my SPEC file for 2.6.8-1.541 with Athlon support)

Arjan van de Ven arjanv at redhat.com
Sun Sep 26 19:24:39 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-09-26 at 20:10, Bryan J. Smith wrote:

> 1.  The "sourcecode" package, which is now ARCH="noarch"
>
> Assumption:
>   I assume the package name change was because the ARCH has changed.

correct; this was during a fc2 update

> Additional Q:
>   Why is the "sourcecode" package not built by default when
> "--target=noarch" is passed?  I.e.,
>   %ifarch noarch
>   %define builddoc 1
>   %define buildsource 0
>                      ^^^

yes the plan is to not ship the sourcecode package at all for fc3 but
release note how to get the sourcecode from the src.rpm

> 2.  There is another variable in EXTRAVERSIONS, defaults to "root"
>
> Assumption:
>   I assume this is to differentiate between UML (User Mode Linux)
> kernels (so the same build system can be used)?

actually it is to differentiate local builds vs buildsystem builds;
mostly that is for my own sanity so that I know my own local builds and
know that they don't match exact CVS tags

> Additional Q:
>   Is this a stock kernel change?  Or Red Hat only?

EXTRAVERSION is strictly defined by Red Hat, in upstream it's designed
for free use for packagers ;)

> 3.  Athlon no longer a build option at all in the SPEC file

the gain Athlon gave previously is, in 2.6 kernels, now a runtime option
not a compiletime option, so no need to have different kernels for
athlon anymore.

> Additional Q:
>   Is there any reason why we can't "patch back in" just the few changes
> into the SPEC so one can build Athlon kernels easily with
> "--target=athlon"?

why bother ?

> [ **BTW, I'm fully aware that the i686 kernel runs fairly optimized on
> Athlon.  But turning off the generic support, and optimizing for K7
> makes a significant difference for me in engineering applications. ]

even in 2.6?