Hotplugging, usb mass storage devices, and mountpoints...

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Sun Sep 26 22:35:46 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-09-26 at 23:27 +0200, Kyrre Ness Sjobak wrote:
> Just wondering about something:
> When i plugged in my camera (which is a usb mass storage device),
> mountpoints are automatically created (one for /dev/sda and another for
> /dev/sda1), and /dev/sda1 is mounted. (so why is sda1 created? sda is
> nothing...) Great work. (but why are they named floppy? My camera isn't
> a floppy - and who hotplugs scsi floppy disks using the mass storage
> driver on the usb port?!?)

I actually have a USB floppy drive FWIW.

But hal shouldn't be detecting your camera as a floppy; please file a
bug against hal and state the versions of hal, udev, kernel, gamin and
gnome-vfs. Please provide the information stated here

 http://hal.freedesktop.org/Software/HalTraces

if applicable.

> But then, when i decide "enough", i pull the plug (which is ok, since it
> is mounted with "sync"), and it gets umounted. So far, so good.

You still need to unmount; it's not safe otherwise.

> But the mountpoints are still there - so according to gnome's "my
> computer" - i now have tree floppy discs.

I've seen bugs in gamin that shows this; you need to look at
your /etc/fstab to be 100% sure that it is a bug in hal.

> So i decided to upgrade hal and dbus, just to see if anything happens.
> "yum upgrade hal" and "yum upgrade dbus". Done. Log in (i was doing this
> over ssh) to see the effects. Quite astonishing - it had "cleaned up"
> all of my removable media stuff - ie. my cdrom, floppy, and all the
> extra floppys are gone.

The /etc/fstab is sanitized; e.g. all entries marked with 'kudzu' are
removed and new entries are added as appropriate. Btw, the reason it's
called 'kudzu' is that updfstab from kudzu used to do all this. This
will probably change to 'managed'.

>  Okay... So i try to "hotplug" a cd into the
> drive. It spinns up for about a minute, and nothing happens. I then try
> to connect the camera. The usb activity light flashes a bit, but no new
> mountpoints... Thats... bad.

Look at /etc/fstab

> Maybe kudzu could make a difference. So i start kudzu. And all it tries
> to do, is to remove the printer which are conected to the paralell port
> (it is switched of. I hate that behaviour - made me deactivate kudzu in
> the past. But it has'nt pestered me during boot due to the printer been
> switched off. Thats good!)
>
> So what to do? "yum update kudzu" is the answer. Or not. Reboot then,
> and see what happens. No. No luck... And no dbus/hal messages in the
> console when plugging in the camera - just that the device was found and
> identified.

kudzu has nothing to do with mount points and storage devices anymore.

> Arg. I smell bugs...

If you can reproduce any of this, then please file bugs.

Thanks,
David