Hotplugging, usb mass storage devices, and mountpoints...

Kyrre Ness Sjobak kyrre at solution-forge.net
Mon Sep 27 09:30:48 UTC 2004

søn, 26.09.2004 kl. 23.48 skrev Jeff Spaleta:
> On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 23:27:29 +0200, Kyrre Ness Sjobak
> <kyrre at solution-forge.net> wrote:
> > Just wondering about something:
> I think you a very very confused as to what pieces of technology do
> what in the now hal-fied world. You also haven't stated which versions
> of the packages you are using. Its vital to state clearly which
> version of packages you have installed. In this case which version:
> hal
> dbus
> kudzu
> gnome-valume-manager
> gamin

Yes, i'm confused. Admitted. The versions are (according to rpm):
hal-0.2.98.cvs20040923-1
dbus-0.22-9
kudzu-1.1.90-1
gnome-volume-manager-0.9.10-2
gamin-0.0.9-1

(hmm... how could i have a kudzu-devel package with different versioning
than kudzu?!?)

> > But the mountpoints are still there - so according to gnome's "my
> > computer" - i now have tree floppy discs.
>
> According to gnome? how about according /etc/fstab? are the
> mountpoints under /media still there? Its important when trying to
> narrow down the problem if /etc/fstab and the /media mountpoints being
> updated correctly or not.  Hal interacts with /etc/fstab and /media/
> mountpints. The gnome filemanager,nautilus, should be noticing changes
> in /etc/fstab and updating the My Computer pane accordingly via the
> gamin daemon. But without knowing if /etc/fstab is updating correctly
> you can't know where in the software stack the problm actually is. Is
> this a hal problem? or is this a gnome problem? So far I don't have
> enough information to make a reasonable guess.

This is /etc/fstab:

/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00    /		ext3    defaults        1 1
LABEL=/boot		    /boot	ext3    defaults        1 2
none			    /dev/pts	devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
none			    /dev/shm    tmpfs   defaults        0 0
none			    /proc	proc    defaults        0 0
none			    /sys	sysfs   defaults        0 0
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01    swap	swap    defaults        0 0

So yes they are gone. All removable media are gone. Both /media and /mnt
are empty (what happened to /mnt?).

=> probably not a gnome problem.

How the fstab etc. looked when i had 3 floppy disks, i dont know. But
since it seems like gnome is telling the truth, i think there must have
been 3 fstab entries. I didnt think the upgrade would kill off every
removable storage mountpoint, but i was hoping that the bug was fixed in
later versions. Always upgrade to the latest and greatest before hitting
bugzilla...

> > So i decided to upgrade hal and dbus, just to see if anything happens.
> > "yum upgrade hal" and "yum upgrade dbus". Done. Log in (i was doing this
> > over ssh) to see the effects. Quite astonishing - it had "cleaned up"
> > all of my removable media stuff - ie. my cdrom, floppy, and all the
> > extra floppys are gone. Okay... So i try to "hotplug" a cd into the
> > drive. It spinns up for about a minute, and nothing happens.
>
> This is where the gnome-volume-manager comes in to play. You can
> configure gnome to either automount cds or not automount cds. Did you
> make sure gnome is configured to automount the cd?
> gnome-volume-properties is the command that corresponds to the
> Preference Menu item "Removable Storage."  I have a development tree
> synced test box and when i have gnome configured to automount data
> cds... it worksforme.

Yup, it used to work for me too... The config about "what should happen
to what media" etc. in gnome is completely untouched.

> > I then try
> > to connect the camera. The usb activity light flashes a bit, but no new
> > mountpoints... Thats... bad.
> Again is gnome-volume-manager configured correct to mount removable
> drives/media? These are  different setting than automounting cds in
> gnome-volume-propeties. And again automounting both my camera and my
> compact flash reader worksforme on my rawhide synced test box.
>
> > Maybe kudzu could make a difference. So i start kudzu.
> Kudzu is not invovled. In fact running kudzu while logged into X might
> have detrimental affects considering the hardware probing kudzu might
> be doing.
> And all it tries
>
> I will reinterate that automounting cds usb-storage devices on my test
> box fully updated to currently available development packages is
> working for me.

300+ packages is a bit much to download of a 64 kbps dial-up line. So i
only update what seems interesting to test.

That might make me run into some packaging bugs...