FC3 and printing from Mozilla

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Mon Sep 27 16:07:57 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-09-27 at 07:26 -0500, Rex Dieter wrote:

> > I'd say s/reluctant/strongly opposed/ to xprint but that has been
> > discussed elsewhere and no need for déjà vu all over again.
>
> The only responses I've ever seen/heard from redhat regarding xprint is
> a curt replies like yours.
>
> I don't know about your deja-vu, but all I know is that xprint has
> worked for me personally going back to the mozilla-1.4 days.  What's
> troublesome to me is that I see no harm in simply enabling xprint
> support in the mozilla builds, since it does nothing if xprint isn't
> installed and running, yet redhat *still* refuses to even allow that.

To summarize briefly:

 - xprint doesn't use the font system that we use everywhere else
   (fontconfig)

 - xprint can't use the layout system we use everywhere else (Pango)

 - xprint doesn't integrate well with the printing system that we
   use everywhere else (CUPS)

 - xprint can't use the desktop-wide printing dialog (libgnomeprintui)

The first and last are important ones for why enabling Xprint support
in the build is a bad idea; we can't provide as good a font or
printer selection user interface if the printing backend might be
incompatible with our standard technologies rather than closely
integrated with our standard technologies.

Regards,
						Owen