Rant on LABELs

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Tue Sep 28 00:59:45 UTC 2004

Once upon a time, Steven P. Ulrick <ulrick2 at faith4miracle.org> said:
> Hello, Everyone :)
> I was kind of confused by the above statement.  So I looked at my /etc/fstab,
> and I found the following:
> LABEL=/                 /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
>
> I am running Fedora Core 2, with the latest Fedora Core 2 kernel.

And the kernel doesn't do the mount.  There is an initial ramdisk image
that is used to do the mount-by-LABEL bit (as well as LVM and software
RAID startup and other things).  It is possible to use the same initrd
creation for non-FC kernels; just use mkinitrd.  There is nothing
"magic" in the Red Hat built kernels.

Also, what is in /etc/fstab doesn't really matter for initially mounting
the root filesystem.  What matters is what is on the kernel command
line, usually set in /boot/grub/grub.conf.
--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>