DVD image of FC3 test2 for x86_64 too big?

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Wed Sep 29 08:51:13 UTC 2004

Nigel Metheringham wrote :

> On Tue, 2004-09-28 at 11:26 -1000, Warren Togami wrote:
> > Matthias Saou wrote:
> > > It doesn't fit on regular 4.7GB DVD-Rs :-(
> > The only way we can solve this problem is by trimming the distribution.
> >
> >   A bunch of broken java related stuff was removed from rawhide
> > yesterday, and I'm working on reducing package sizes across the board
> > by removing useless or redundant documentation.
>

> I guess the request I was going to put in, that the headers and repo
> metadata also be added to the DVDs so they could be used in place of the
> exploded distribution on mirrors (ie loopback mount the DVDs and so save
> another 5GB of disk) ain't going to be possible...

Metadata should be small enough for this : The current (compressed) common
XML metadata for the set of i386 development packages takes up a mere 1MB
;-)
Maybe it's even already included, but if not, you may want to poke someone
and/or file an RFE, as it does seem like a good idea to me.

Matthias

Fedora Core release 2 (Tettnang) - Linux kernel 2.6.8-1.521.dell
Load : 0.25 0.44 0.72